Monday, July 26, 2010

A New Paradigm For Modern Dating? Combining the Real World and Internet World With One Flirty Card

I'm single and yeah, OK, I've thought about internet dating. However, I have a whole mental block towards hooking up with someone from a dating site. I'm not sure what my aversion is. I live, work and play online so one would think this would be a natural transition. Still, there's something about meeting someone on a dating site that creeps me out. The idea of a "flirt card" creeps me out even more! Yes, I've heard the eHarmony commercials about how they have matched up thousands of couples and how their matches have lead to more marriages... blah, blah, blah. Still, it just makes me very uncomfortable. Meanwhile, can you just imagine someone handing me a black card that says: "Let's hook up". Can you say "where is the trash can"?
Amplify’d from www.intent.com
Imagine that you are chilling by yourself in some coffee shop or bookstore. A non-creepy good-looking stranger--who may or may not have been eyeballing you or the book you have been reading for the last ten minutes--passes by your table and nonchalantly places a small black card next to your cafe drink before heading out the door. The card says: "I'm hitting on you" and below, a website code for looking up the your admirer's profile to learn more or to send a message.

Super-creepy? Or a little intriguing? Consider it the flirty equivalent of a Facebook poke in real time.

According to this recent article on the New York Times, passing along a flirty card with an online code to your personal profile may be the next dating trend that combines real world encounters with online interaction. Cheekd.com is one website that provides a paid membership for users who want their own personalized cards with their personalized internet code to discreetly pass along to any alluring-looking cutie or hunk that catches their eye--be it on the subway, a club, a bookstore, or yoga class. As the article goes on to explain:

Users receive calling cards to dole out to alluring strangers they encounter in their everyday lives, be it in a club or in a subway on their morning commute. Recipients of the cards can use the identification code printed on them to log onto Cheekd.com and send a message to their admirer. A pack of 50 cards and a month’s subscription to Cheek’d, where users can receive messages and post information about themselves, is $25. There is no fee for those who receive cards to communicate with an admirer through the site.

Each Cheek’d card has a sassy phrase like “I am totally cooler than your date,” or, for those with no regard for subtlety: “I’m hitting on you.” Ms. Cheek is dreaming up specialized card sets, too. One for New York City singles will have lines like “I live below 14th Street” and “I hope my five-story walkup won’t be a problem.”

Flipmedating.com is another dating website that markets the same concept: a pack of 30 cards and a three-month membership for $24.99. Each card is printed with the message that reads way cooller in written form than spoken outloud: "I’ve said ‘what if’ too many times ... not this time.”
Read more at www.intent.com

2 comments:

  1. Uh... NO! How're you gonna hand out a card and NOT converse?? It's the hi-tech equivalent of: "Do you like me? Check yes or no"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! It IS the high-tech child's "Do You Like? Check yes or no" game. It's like I like you but I'm too afraid to actually approach you... so hit me up on this code on my card and we'll "chat". WEAK!!!

    ReplyDelete