Monday, March 22, 2010

A Woman Representing at SXSW Interactive

I recently got back from the South by South West Interactive Festival.  Among the male dominated conference, stood out several women that I was very impressed with.  Among them was the SXSW Interactive (SWSXWi) Opening Speaker, danah boyd.

SXSWi features five days of panels, workshops and events focused on the brightest minds in emerging technology and tons of exciting networking events. The conference pulls in web developers, designers, bloggers, mobile innovators, content producers, programmers, widget inventors, new media entrepreneurs and social media consultants from around the world.  It was my idea of techie heaven well... almost... with a little more diversity it could have been heaven. 

Imagine my surprise when the opening speaker was a women.  I'm sure there is a back story why she only spells her name with small case letters although I don't know what it is.  Either way, danah boyd brought her amazing presentation skills and research analysis to SXSWi.  She is one of the world's foremost authorities on social networks, works at Microsoft Research New England and also serves as a Fellow at the Harvard University Berkman Center for Internet and Society.  She's outspoken, smart, well trained and a little quirky but I dig her.  Check out what she shared with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment