Thursday, August 12, 2010

Are Working Women Peanlized For Motherhood?

When I was working at a large (not to be named) corporation, I found that I was being penalized for not having a child. Employees with children got to leave early. "No", I can't stay and work late tonight" said Sally, "I have to pick up little Sammy from football". Or, "I can't be at the 8:30 AM meeting tomorrow, you know I have to drop off Kim at school". Then I'd hear from one of the Vice Presidents, "Danielle will do it, she doesn't have to rush home." Well, just because I didn't have a child waiting on a curb somewhere for me did NOT mean I didn't have a life I wanted to live after work.

Apparently, while working mothers (and fathers for that matter) may have gotten a "get of jail free" card to get out of some work responsibilities, this did not go unnoticed by the Executive team. According to this report from the TODAY show, it would appear that working mothers with children are also getting the short end of the stick.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments:

Post a Comment